Systemd service life cycle

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Apr 7 11:44:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:15:38 +0200, Tom H wrote:
>The systemd developers have had to add more and more options to units
>to allow accurate ordering and maintainers of various packages have
>had to use new stanzas and/or refine dependencies so there may have
>been races (and may even be races still) but it's definitely not a
>common "misfeature."

Due to all that options it's not easy to understand. Fortunately I
don't experience a race condition, but I remember that I read a lot
about this issue. Perhaps user errors, perhaps systemd bugs or missing
features that nowadays are fixed.

https://www.google.de/#q=systemd+race+condition
https://www.google.de/#q=ubuntu+systemd+race+condition
https://www.google.de/#q=arch+systemd+race+condition
https://www.google.de/#q=arch+general+mailing+list+systemd+race+condition

Sure, there are hits for

https://www.google.de/q=sysvinit+race+condition

too, but I can't remember reported race conditions on mailing lists.

If a user edit units that cause unresolvable before/after conflicts, how
does systemd behave?