Systemd service life cycle

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 09:24:44 UTC 2016

On 7 April 2016 at 10:08, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 09:31:42 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>>There must be an answer to this problem, I am
>>sure I am not the first to come across this issue.
>
> I guess you're right.
>
> Unfortunately there's no systemd user mailing list, perhaps requests for
> help are allowed at the devel list,
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/.

OK, I think I have it.  The answer (I hope) is to make A a oneshot
service that starts the tunnel in the main thread, forks a
supplementary process to carry on with the other tasks A has to
perform, and sets RemainAfterExit so that systemd does not shutdown
the forked process.  Then A will not be considered started until it
returns from the main thread, having setup the tunnel, and then B will
be allowed to proceed.

In fact I think a cleaner way will be to split A into A1, a oneshot
process that opens the tunnel, and A2 that carries on with the tasks A
performs, then A1 can have Before specs for A2 and B.  I think that
should do what I want.

Colin