Use Debian jessie or xenial-proposed as backports in trusty?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Apr 5 16:11:34 UTC 2016

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 16:24:00 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>The "1.4.0" there is the "marketing" version of the library package.
>There's no particular technical reason why it should be related to the
>SONAME.

Ok, thank you.

>Application packages don't normally have a number attached to them,
>but sometimes they get one if there's a need to have more than one
>version in the archive at once.  I haven't looked in this case, but
>I'd conjecture that at one point there was an Ardour 2 that was
>considered stable and an Ardour 3 that was considered a bit more
>bleeding-edge, and then it took a while to get rid of the "3" suffix.

The rough explanation: Ardour2 is a hard disk recorder and Ardour3 and
Ardour4 are a hard disk recorder and sequencer, so some wish to stay
with Ardour2, while others wish to migrate to Ardour > 2. Perhaps the
reason has to do with the upgrade process, to automatically upgrade from
Ardour3 to Ardour4. I'm not aware to what extend
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-conflicts
would allow to change the name to Ardour4, to replace Ardour3, without
forcing the user to manually remove Ardour3, to upgrade to Ardour4.