Back to Basics!

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Apr 4 18:35:36 UTC 2016

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 21:43:10 +0400, Teimuraz Abashidze wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 9:33 PM, <s_s_shahin at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Is there an equivalent to the  Windows Task Manager under Ubuntu?
>> At times I need to terminate a  browser session and keep the rest
>> alive.
>>
>> How do I do that?
>Just press Ctrl-Escape

Hi IMHO,

the best bet is to open a terminal and to run

  killall name_off_application || killall -9 name_off_application

anyway, ensure that the application doesn't provide an app related kill
option, e.g.

  evolution --force-shutdown

if so, better first try this option.

Assumed you shouldn't know the name of the app, you could run

  htop

it shows you what app does eat memory and/or CPU resources and you
could select the app, with the mouse and then push the F9 key to kill
the app. You likely need to install htop first.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: Consider to learn how to use the commands
    ps, kill, killall, pidof, top (alternatively atop or htop, but
    they aren't available by default), what the terms SIGTERM and
    SIGKILL are for. Also read what Ctrl+F keys are for. The learning
    curve is really worth the effort, since it will make your life
    easier. Join the advantages of Linux, get rid of all Windows
    frustration. Consider not to imitate Windows approaches for a
    Linux install.