In NY State we now need e-prescribing

william drescher william at TechServSys.com
Sat Apr 2 09:43:40 UTC 2016

On 4/1/2016 12:09 PM, steve reilly wrote:

>  >
>  > On Apr 1, 2016 7:10 AM, "william drescher"
> <william at techservsys.com <mailto:william at techservsys.com>> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > On 3/31/2016 4:20 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>  > >>
>  > >> On 31 March 2016 at 20:01, Donald F. Parsons
> <dfp10 at verizon.net <mailto:dfp10 at verizon.net>> wrote:
>  > >>>
>  > >>> Hello,
>  > >>>
>  > >>> I am a retired, New York State licensed physician, who,
> since the March 27,
>  > >>> 2016 NYS ban on hand-written prescriptions, needs to
> e-prescribe (only
>  > >>> non-controlled drugs) for myself and family, to the CVS
> pharmacy #0375, 260
>  > >>> Delaware Ave, Delmar,NY 12054
>  > >>>
>  > >>> (518) 439-0516 (Enabled for EPCS).
>  > >>>
>  > >>> I need a free or low-cost e-prescribing service.
>  > >>>
>  > >>> I use Ubuntu 14.04 linux and already have OpenEMR
> installed. I have another
>  > >>> computer with MS Windows 7 but prefer the linux.
>  > >>>
>  > >>> How do I get connected to Surescripts or a related service?
>  > >>>
>  > >>> Thank you
>  > >>>
>  > >
>  > > eprescribe.allscripts.com <http://eprescribe.allscripts.com>
>  > >
>  > >
>  >

> well that doesnt seem comforting.. especially seeing the
> information thats going to be exchanged through the service!
>
> http://picpaste.com/Screenshot_2016-04-01-11-42-35-qz0pddVF.png

I had no problem opening the website at:
https://erxnowregistration.allscripts.com/

I am not shilling for them.  Generally they are a PIA to work
with because of the security.  But they do provide a free
ePrescribe service that is HIPAA complient.

> I would also ask someone familiar with hipaa compliance if ubuntu
> qualifies.  I believe there is physical security, password,
> antivirus requirements that come into play in this scenario.
> Coming from a retail management background with rx in house,
> theres some stringent rules in place for this

The OS doesn't get approved, the whole installation must be
reasonably secure.  If you are going to be connected to the
internet fairly constant intrusion detection is a good idea in
addition to the usual edge router firewall...
We also use whole disk encryption (LKS) for protection if the
server is stolen and application level encryption for all
clinical information... and we pray a lot.

bill