Backup failure

Chas IRONS ironscf at telkomsa.net
Sat Sep 26 19:27:20 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-09-26 at 16:50 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 26 September 2015 at 16:41, Chas IRONS <ironscf at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2015-09-26 at 16:09 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> >
> > On 26 September 2015 at 15:18, Chas IRONS <ironscf at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Ubuntu
> > >
> > > I get this error when I try to Backup on 14.04.1 using an 8GB usb flashdrive.
> > >
> > > Backup location ‘/tmp/duplicity-_JyeBF-tempdir/mktemp-uAPqIc-2’ does not exist.
> >

> > Are you using the Backups graphical application?  If so what have you
> > specified for Storage Location on the backups dialog?
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > *******************
> > Hi Colin and other ubuntu-users
> >
> > I am a retired end user and have used Backups several times before with no error. Never tried any restore though.
>
> Are you trying to restore when it fails?
>

> > Yes I used Backups gui and set the Storage Location to Lexar which is my flashdrive that is mounted with all files deleted.
> *********************
> If it is failing when backing up have you included /tmp in the folders
> to backup?  If yes then this is a bad idea.  If you are trying to
> backup the whole system then add /tmp to the folders to ignore.  In
> fact you will have problems with a number of other system folders also
> in this case.
>
> Colin

**********************
Hi Colin , Ralf and Brandon

Sorry. I did not give enough detail in my question.  My Backups settings
were:

Folders to save: Home (chas)
Folders to ignore: Rubbish Bin, ~/Downloads
Storage Location: Lexar (my flashdrive that is mounted with all files
deleted)
So I was just trying to backup all my data.

Backups is from the Ubuntu Software Centre.  "Deja Dup is a simple
backup tool and uses Duplicity as the backend ".
Reading the reviews by other users, it seems unreliable.
I liked the fact that a few settings gives an encrypted result and
incremental additions.

I will try one more time tomorrow adding  /tmp to be ignored. I will
also try clearing the deja-dup settings that Brandon advised.
After that I suppose copying my whole /home folder will be next best
method.

Thanks again for your willing advice. Chas