Installing Ubuntu 14.04.3on multi hard drive system

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:07:52 UTC 2015

On 23 September 2015 at 17:47, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have an on board GeForce 9100.

On what model of motherboard?

I found, upgrading from about 12.04 to 12.10, that 1 of my 2 monitors
(matched 21" Dell Trinitron CRTs) stopped working. I spent some time
troubleshooting this to discover that it was not a software issue; it
was because of the monitor cable.

12.04 would let me set the monitor resolution and refresh rate in the
nVidia settings app. 12.10 auto-detected them. One monitor was on a
VGA-to-VGA cable; this worked fine. The other monitor was on a VGA-BNC
cable, which meant the card could not read the monitor's EDID
information. This limited it to about 800*600 at 60Hz.

I had to replace my monitor cable.

If you are using 1 digital port + 1 analog port, then this might cause
a problem. If you have 2 digital ports, use them. Even if it means
getting a new cable.

I had to do this myself, this year, when I replaced an old Benq LCD on
my Mac mini, which was using an HDMI-to-DVI cable, with a new Samsung
that only had HDMI. I had to buy a new HDMI-to-HDMI cable. :-(

It cost me about £3 (US$ 5). :-)