Synchronizing with Google Drive

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Tue Sep 8 18:32:35 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I am trying to move from Dropbox to Google drive, for two main reasons:

Price and performance.

I have been using Dropbox on all my devices for years now. It even saved me
2-3 times when my hard drives failed - I was able to restore my files in a
matter of minutes.

Dropbox - Pros:

Seamless synchronization
Desktop integration.

Dropbox - Cons:

Price
Hogs my Internet bandwidth.

Google Drive - Pros:

I use Google services since it was invite only (that's how I got my
account, initially). I use an Android smartphone and I use the Google
Chrome browser on all my devices.

Google Drive - Cons

Lack of Linux Client: I wanted to switch to Google Drive as my only cloud
storage - but alas! No Google Drive client for Linux (how is it possible?,
they have one for Mac OS X - isn't it the same?!)

I tried using Grive - basically the only option out there. there's a GUI
front-end by the guys from Fanclub called overGrive.

Works fairly well, but with a few kinks I am trying to figure out:

My ideal scenario would be to organize the files on my main computer, then
push it one-way (force upload) to the server, then pull it (download only)
on the other machines.

When I sync from my laptop, it adds all the files to the server, but
doesn't create a 1:1 copy on all machines. It just adds all the files to
the server from each machine, resulting in messing up the folder hierarchy
and creating duplicates which are very hard to resolve on the Web
interface...

Can one of you explain what would be the best practice to sync an Ubuntu
Desktop and an Ubuntu laptop to the Google Drive Cloud?

Thanks!

Amichai.