Ubuntu on Lenovo x61s - Help needed

Peter petergoggin at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 4 16:10:54 UTC 2015

The sequence I am getting on start  up is

On startup machine shows grep menu.

It will automatically select the current version of linux after about 20
secondes.

It then prompts for the pass phrase. On entering the correct passphrase
it says key successfully used to unlock the disk,.

The next display is Busy Box etc.

If I select recovery mode it scrolls through a load of commands. It then
says:

Unlocking the disk /dev/disk/by-uuid/7f ….... (sda5_crypt)

Enter passphrase:

When I enter the passphrase the boot process continues but again comes
up with the BusyBox message and (initramfs) prompt

Are any of the scrolled message during the boot process of any use in
diagnosing the problem, and if so how do I capture them?

My backup disk has failed and is unreadable on any of my linux or window
machines so unless I can recover the home directory from the X61S I will
have a lot of work to update all of my data files and databases.

I have a bootable CD with linux .  If I use this to access the machine
will it be able to show me the home directory on the hard drive?

Regards

Peter Goggin