How to set kernel module load priority/order

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 15:02:58 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Manvir Singh
<webmaster at programming4life.com> wrote:
> On October 28, 2015 11:56:59 AM PDT, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  Try using dracut on Ubuntu, if it's available, and use rd.driver.pre.
>>>  or
>>>  Blacklist radeon in "/etc/modprobe.d/" and list vfio before radeon in
>>>  "/etc/modules" (or "/etc/modules-load.d/").
>>
>> Forgot!
>>
>> Rebuild your after making the module changes.
>
> Installing dracut on Ubuntu removes my desktop manager. If I try and install
> my desktop manager again it wants to remove dracut. Blacklisting the radeon
> driver is not an option because if you blacklist a module then you can't
> load it from "/etc/modules" it gives a error like "module is blacklisted".

Please don't top post.

I don't know what to do about "/etc/modules".

It works when you simply run modprobe; and that's what I thought was
done to load what's listed in "/etc/modules".

# lsmod | grep hfs
# cat /etc/modprobe.d/hfs-blacklist.conf
blacklist hfs
# modprobe hfs
# lsmod | grep hfs
hfs                    53248  0