Latest Chrome doesn't run

Chas IRONS ironscf at telkomsa.net
Tue Oct 27 13:45:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 08:46 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> On 27 October 2015 at 05:14, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I recently updated my Xubuntu 14.04.3 to the last round of updates,
> > and Chrome no longer runs.  If I start it from the command menu,
> > nothing happens.  If I run it from the command line, it just sits
> > there and does nothing.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Do you mean Chrome or Chromium Browser?  Whichever it is, how did you
> install it?
>
> Colin

I don't understand the difference between Chrome and Chromium either but
it seems only Chromium is included in Ubuntu releases.

I noticed the System Monitor showing several Chromium programs for some
minutes. I assume they are collecting data about my usage, but it is
using my broadband which is quite expensive here. So I have switched to
using Firefox only until I see similar behaviour by it.

I would like your advice on this data collection in the background .

Thanks. Chas.