touch screen, charging, pointer craziness

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 06:36:51 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23 October 2015 at 17:48, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Ram test and hard drive both passed.
>>
>> You ran the ram test for a fair while presumably.  Its purpose is not
>> only to test the ram but to exercise the system and see if it runs ok
>> for some time.
>>
>> Otherwise do you see anything interesting in syslog?
>>
>> You say programs are very slow to load, run the system monitor and see
>> if shows excessive processor utilisation or RAM utilisation.  Look in
>> the Processes pane too and see if anything looks odd.
>>
>> Alternatively run top in a terminal to see the same information.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>>

> In syslog there are 30 instances of the word 'error'   More than once I
> see something to do with Networkmanager
>
>  <warn> error requesting auth for
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.open: (3)
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get UID of
> name ':1.31': no such name
>

> But Network manager seems to be just fine. There are multiple error
> messages relating to it however.
>
> I see it loading  org.freedesktop several times but I think it is doing
> other things with each effort.
>
>  Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily
> unavailable) on X server :0.#012
>
> *ERROR* uncleared fifo underrun on pipe A
>
>  *EROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun
>
> I failed to mention that there does not appear to be a swap partition.  I
> did a LVM install.  I was not worried about it since at first the install
> worked just fine without a  swap.
>
> This laptop only provides a 2 minute memory test.  Grub provides no
> memtest option.
>
> Syste monitor seems just fine since last night.  I am getting no lag right
> now.  My touch screen was working when I used it last night and it is not
> working now.  I restarted lightdm and there is no lag.
>

> garyk

After a reboot and much lagginess, I found 495 errors in syslog, many more
than when I reported a few minutes ago

Examples

 compiz: pam_ecryptfs: seteuid error

EXT4-fs (dm-0): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro

A number of them have to with network manager

Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily
unavailable) on X server :0.#012

 *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun
Oct 22 18:10:15 gary14-HP-210-G1-PC kernel: [  541.565887] CopyAgent[3694]:
segfault at 8 ip 00007f5d987ea6eb sp 00007f5d85fac230 error 4 in
libBrt.so[7f5d986bb000+476000]

dk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 4 (Interrupted system call) on X
server :0.#012

 re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro

Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily
unavailable) on X server :0.#012

CopyAgent[2258]: segfault at 4910 ip 00007f6e2d7ffd40 sp 00007ffda4fc70a0
error 4 in libstdc++.so.6.0.18[7f6e2d746000+e4000]

*ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun
Oct 22 19:31:10 gary14-HP-210-G1-PC rtkit-daemon[1592]: Successfully made
thread 6390 of process 6390 (n/a) owned by '112' high priority at nice
level -11.

<error> [1445535991.694324] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:396] update(): dnsmasq owner
not found on bus: Could not get owner of name
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.dnsmasq': no such name

After a while I opened syslog again.  There were 49 errors.

garyk