restrictions on second operating system in LVM environment

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 09:17:38 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 08:03:59 +0200
> "Gary J. Kirkpatrick" <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I installed Ubuntu 14 with the LVM option.  Is there any reason I can not
> > install a second OS on the same hard disk, or any special considerations?
> > For example, does the second OS also require th LVM option?
>
> If you want to install within the same LVM volume group, you need to
> shrink the size of your existing installation and create a new logical
> volume for the new installation, as Ubuntu by default uses all
> available space for LVs.
>
> If you have free space on the disk, you can install there and not even
> install the LVM tools - except if you want to access data from the
> installation that is on LVM. In that case you will need LVM to access
> the data, but nothing is forcing you to install in a logical volume.
>
> Petter

I used  system-config-lvm to create space on the primary volume, where I
have Ubuntu 14 installed.  However I can still not install a second
operating system there.  I tried using the installer and gparted.  Would I
need to use gparted installed on a usb drive to get it to make that second
logical volume useable?  Or something else?

thanks

gary

--
See my art website <http://garyjkirkpatrick.com/home.php> Blog