grub---problem

Ramachandran Chidambaraiyer ramachandran.chidambaram at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:20:25 UTC 2015

On Monday, November 30, 2015, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 18:46:58 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> >sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
>
> That's perhaps easier, than to chroot (systemd-nspawn) and detailed
> explained here:
>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_the_LiveCD_terminal

sudo fdisk -l
sudo blkid
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
(three comands as above worked fine.)
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: error: cannot seek '/dev/sda' :  Bad file descriptor.
(The following comands were not tried as I felt that a correction will
install the grub.Request the correction)
Thanks.Regards
Ramachandran.

> The chroot or systemd-nspawn might still be useful, but indeed,
> grub-install not necessarily requires it.
>
> grub-mkconfig has got the -o option, so this should work without a
> chroot too.
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/wily/man8/grub-mkconfig.8.html
>
> I suspect that chroot is only required, if there should be the need to
> reinstall the grub2 packages.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Ramachandran.C