APT not showing long descriptions

Tony Baechler bats at batsupport.com
Sun Nov 29 11:11:22 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm having a weird problem.  I've had this problem before, but I was able to fix it.  This time, my fix doesn't seem to be working.

I'm building a live CD based on Ubuntu 15.10 core.  I've added the packages I want and set up the system users.  The CD itself works and packages seem to install fine.  However, when looking at package descriptions, the long description isn't being displayed.  I'm only seeing the short, one line description.  This isn't happening on my Ubuntu 14.04 server.  I think it's downloading the full descriptions, but I'm not sure.  How can I fix this?

In my /etc/apt/apt.conf.d, I have a file with the following lines:

 Acquire::PDiffs "false";
 Acquire::Languages "en";
APT::Install-Recommends "false";

Based on Google searches, the line to acquire English translations should download full descriptions.  That does seem to be the case in Trusty, as you can see below:

Package: user-setup
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 1.48ubuntu2
 This package creates an initial user, using the same code as is responsible for
 creating the initial user in the installer. It is only likely to be of any use
 if your system has no non-system users at all.

On my 15.10 core image with the same configuration, I get this:

Package: user-setup
State: not installed
Version: 1.48ubuntu7

I've tried updating the package lists and regenerating the caches.  What am I missing?  Any suggestions?