Obtaining snapshots from Facebook vidos using Ubuntu 14.04

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 14:44:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Donald F. Parsons <dfp10 at verizon.net>
wrote:

> Hello
> I would like to obtain individual frames from Facebook videos/
> How do I set this up?

I believe Facebook videos still require flash, so whatever you download
will probably be in flash video format. Apparently you can add an extension
that makes it easier to extract the videos:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/564405/how-to-download-videos-off-facebook-with-ubuntu-14-10

You can also install the youtube-dl utility to download some Facebook
videos.

After you use some process to extract the video file, you might be able to
grab the frames you want using a tool such as ffmpeg or melt. (Note if
you're using Ubuntu older than Wily 15.10, the ffmpeg package is available
under a different name.)

You will also find some graphical video tools available, but I don't know
whether any of them can extract single frames.