setting up a v4tunnel interface after a dhcp interface?

Caleb enlightened.despot at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 18:12:23 UTC 2015

I haven't tested this, so your mileage may vary, but I believe you can
handle this by removing the "auto he0" line so that the he0 interface
isn't brought up automatically, then adding an 'up' command to the
eth0 interface definition:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
    up ifup he0

One potential snag: if I remember correctly, an interface being "up"
is separate and distinct from an interface having obtained a
dynamically assigned IP address, so /etc/network/if-up.d/he might
still be executed while the DHCP request is still in process, and
_before_ eth0 has obtained an IP address. This potential race
condition could be resolved by a static address assignment.

Alternatively, I believe--but have not verified--that Upstart's
'net-device-up' isn't triggered until the interface has a valid IP
address. If so, an Upstart script like the following should work
(adapted from http://serverfault.com/questions/117584/upstart-scripts-run-a-task-after-networking-goes-up):

respawn
console none

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
stop on [!12345]

script
ifup he0
end script

This script needs to be in /etc/init and have a .conf extension.
/etc/init/he.conf would be a good name for it.

Even if the Upstart approach works, you'll eventually have to change
it because of the move from Upstart to systemd
(http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316).

HTH,
-Caleb