Quwery about firewall software

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Nov 15 09:02:13 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-11-14 at 05:40 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 14 November 2015 05:10:20 Bret Busby wrote:
> > I am thinking of installing Ubuntu Linux on the computer, with
> > possibly either Firewall Builder, or gufw, to set up a new firewall.

Unless you are doing this for the educational value, or have an
extremely complex firewall requirement, don't use a general purpose
computer to run a firewall. Someone suggested setting up a DD-WRT-based
firewall, that's a good choice.

IMHO the absolute best bang for buck in a router is one of the MikroTik
range. They are dirt cheap and have powerful firewalling and
packet-filtering capabilities out of the box. Slight learning curve,
then set and forget. With syslog logging, netflows, vlans - you name it,
these boxes have it. And multiple routable interfaces. The RB750G would
be about right for what you need.

Since you (Brett) are in Oz, try shop.duxtel.com.au...

> When looking at routers, it must be reflashable, and must have 4 megs of
> flash, with 8 megs being even better.

That might be so for DD-WRT, but is certainly not generally the case.
Unless you will be doing things like BGP, when it's way too little :-)

Regards, K.