Mdadm/ZFS RAID question

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Wed Nov 11 17:36:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 09:46:30AM +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:

> What I'm wondering is: is it possible to buy a new disk, set up that disk
> as a degraded RAID, populate it with data and then add the old disk to the
> mirror and have it synced from the new disk?

Yes.

> Can either ZFS or mdadm do this,

Either will do it. ZFS makes it particularly trivial and has advantages like
resilvering only copying actual data, but you can do it with whichever
mechanism you prefer.

--
The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig
to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which. - G. Orwell