flashplugin-installer

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 9 08:23:06 UTC 2015

On Monday 09 November 2015 03:09:13 Petter Adsen wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 02:33:28 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> > And it doesn't resolve from here either.
> > sudo apt-get update
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > http://ppa.launchpad.net/skunk/pepper-flash/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main
> >/source/Sources 404  Not Found
> >
> > W: Failed to fetch
> > http://ppa.launchpad.net/skunk/pepper-flash/ubuntu/dists/wheezy/main
> >/binary-i386/Packages 404  Not Found
> >
> > > Works fine w/FF and 14.04. Have you tried it???
> >
> > See above and previous post.
>
> Gene,
>
> Are you doing this on an Ubuntu host? See the "wheezy" in the link
> above? It is where the codename for the distribution should be, and
> Wheezy is Debian, not Ubuntu. You might be able to install the package
> by hand-editing the sources.list file and exchange "wheezy" for
> "trusty" or something like that, but there is no guarantee that an
> Ubuntu package will work on your system if it isn't Ubuntu. (The fact
> that you say "Iceweasel" and not "Firefox" is also a hint that you
> might be running something else.)

debian wheezy yes.

> As for your questions about Flash: Adobe agreed to release security
> fixes for the Linux version for a given window of time (until 2017,
> until the end of 2017 - something like that) but no other
> improvements. That's why there are occasional updates to the package.

I have had no access to a flash update that would actually install using
an adobe installer in nearly 3 years here.  So there have been no
updates to flash in that time frame here.  Its old, runs like a 1 legged
dog when it runs, and deserves to die.

> Google has already disabled autoplay of some Flash content in Chrome
> IIRC, the Flash plugin in Firefox will at some point be disabled, and
> mobile platforms don't support Flash at all. The web seems to be
> moving to HTML5 and H.264 video, so Flash is indeed dying a death of a
> thousand cuts - it just takes time.
>
> I'm not sure why you are getting the dialog on whether or not to allow
> the playing of Flash content, is it possible that you have enabled
> click-to-play for Flash?

Not to my knowledge.  Where/how is that to be checked on ?

> Petter

Thanks Petter.

> --
> "I'm ionized"