Ubuntu system corrupted

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu May 28 12:05:21 UTC 2015

Hari wrote:
> Peter , thanks for your reply too.. Yes i now understand and realise
> the value of backups. How do i make a image of the broken file system
> ? I am not having so much expertise. Could u guide me ?

While there has already been a hint on how to make an image of the
partition, you probably also need some guidance for the recovery
process.

You can use a Linux system, e.g. any *Ubuntu live system and install
testdisk and photorec from the Ubuntu repositories:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install testdisk

OTOH, probably it is more convenient for you to use your Windows system,
if you can access the image file from Windows. You can get the Windows
version of testdisk & photorec from [1]. There are also recovery
instructions at [2] and [3].

Nils

[1] <http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download>
[2] <http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step>