Ubuntu system corrupted

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu May 28 11:26:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, 28 May 2015 13:21:25 +0200
Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 2015 06:37:13 -0400
> Istimsak Abdulbasir <saqman2060 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:28 AM, Hari <hariraghaveee at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks a lot Nils for a early reply. Yea seems like that only.
> > > Even i thought so. Let me see
> > >
> > > Peter , thanks for your reply too.. Yes i now understand and
> > > realise the value of backups. How do i make a image of the broken
> > > file system ? I am not having so much expertise. Could u guide
> > > me ? Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Since you started using the "dd" command lets teach you how to use
> > > it
> > properly. First thing you need is an extra drive that is bigger than
> > the one you are cloning. Get your hands on a liveCD of ubuntu, any
> > flavor will do. Make sure two disk utilities are available, gparted
> > and disk utility. Gparted will allow you to easily format a disk.
> > Disk utility will allow you to do the same but is not as visually
> > friendly as gparted.
> >
> > In your liveCD make sure both disks, your primary one and the backup
> > disks are mounted. Create a folder in the second drive which will be
> > used to store the image.
> >
> > Read this documentation on how to use "dd".
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DriveImaging
> >
> > If you have two drives installed in your system, they will have
> > these names, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. If they have partitions they
> > will be /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 with one meaning partition one. What
> > you will be using is cloning /dev/sda to the folder residing in
> > your second hard drive.
>
> No, you don't. Only one file system was corrupted, so that's all he
> wants to image. Making an image of the entire disk in this scenario
> would just require more space than is necessary and
> potentially complicate things.
>
> If /dev/sda2 is the Linux filesystem, you want to do something like
> this (from a live disk, for example):
>
> sudo if=/dev/sda2 of=/path/to/file.img bs=128M

To correct myself, the partition you want to image is sda6, so make
that line:

sudo if=/dev/sda6 of=/path/to/file.img bs=128M

It will take some time, and will not normally print anything until in
finishes, so don't interrupt it. Just let it run until finished.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"