Ban IP's from saslauthd/postfix?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sun May 24 15:48:27 UTC 2015

On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:32:04 -0400
Ed Begens <edbegens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Petter,
>
> You might want to consider using IPTables to slam the door on the
> offending Botnet (and their associated IP addresses).  But, there
> might be better options out there depending on your server usage (in
> what environment it's being utilized for).

That's exactly what I want to do, but given that it is a botnet, the
connections come in from a ton of different addresses. I need something
that will see a failed attempt to authenticate, and block the address
for a long period of time. fail2ban can do this, but it doesn't have
the right mechanisms already in place for saslauthd, so I'll need to
write them.

There are an extremely limited number of people who have genuine
reasons to authenticate to the server, and I can talk to all of them,
so it would be ideal to set up a single failed attempt to block the
source IP for a week or two :) Or longer. A**holes using a botnet to
send spam are the lowest of the low. They need to be dealt with in the
harshest way possible.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"