Anyone else having problems with Sound Converter 2.0.4 (Ubuntu 14.04)?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue May 19 07:19:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, 18 May 2015 22:25:23 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I got the same error when converting to Ogg Vorbis, so that
> > > doesn't seem to be the problem in this case.
> >
> > Then I am not sure. You might want to try something like this:
> >
> > "LANG=C soundconverter"
> >

> Thanks, I didn't know about that.
>
> ”GStreamer encountered a general stream error.”

I'm not sure, this could mean any number of different things. Can you
get verbose output?

> > in a terminal to get English error messages, and report back the
> > exact messages you get. Also try to Google it, I'm not terribly
> > familiar with gstreamer myself.
> >

> I found a thread with a similar problem, but they solved it by ticking
> ”Resample” in Preferences. That didn't work for me.
>
> However, after some experimenting, I found that I only have problems
> with 24-bit FLAC files. I tried a few 16-bit files and it worked. I
> even converted the 24-bit one to 16-bit (with Sox), then I could
> convert to MP3…
>
> So it appears to be a 24-bit issue, but I'm pretty sure that issue
> didn't exist in earlier versions, because all of my own FLAC files
> (those that I recorded myself) are always 24-bit and those are
> usually the only ones I convert to anything (since my car's CD player
> doesn't accept anything else than MP3 and pure Audio CDs). So do I
> actually need to convert twice now? Also, I can't convert from Flac
> 24-bit to Flac 16-bit with SoundConverter, I did that with Sox, as I
> said.
>
> I could of course try to install an older version of SoundConverter,
> just to see if it works, I guess…

To me, this sounds like it's time to file a bug. ;) If it can handle
16-bit FLACs and not 16-bit, that is certainly not Normal Behaviour.

> > > Have them, still doesn't work. :(
> > > Does it work for you? Or maybe you have a different version?
> >
> > I don't even have soundconverter installed :) Also, I'm on vivid,
> > and the version in the repos is 2.1.5-1, gstreamer and its plugins
> > are also likely newer than what you have, so there is little point
> > in me installing it to check. The entire chain would be different.
> >

> Well, if you (or someone else) tested it and it works, I could try to
> install that version from source…
> If you don't have any 24-bit Flacs, you can easily create one in
> Audacity.

OK, this is what I did: Installed audacity v2.0.6-2, installed
soundconverter v2.1.5-1 from the vivid repos. Ripped a 16-bit FLAC from
CD with asunder, converted it to 24-bit with audacity, and opened the
result in soundconverter. Preferences -> Format MP3 -> Bitrate VBR ->
Quality Insanely High (320kbps) - Convert.

Worked perfectly. I have some FLACs ripped from vinyl that are 24-bit,
but the machine they're on is currently down, but there should be no
difference.

I suggest you upgrade your version of soundconverter if possible, a
quick search reveals you can find it for trusty here:
http://www.getdeb.net/app/SoundConverter

That's the same version I have, but I take no responsibility on the
security aspects of installing packages from unknown sources :)

> > Another possibility is to try a program called XCFA (if I remember
> > correctly) - it can convert between different formats. There is also
> > soundkonverter from the K* family, although I have not used it
> > myself.
> >

> Well, I have Sox and it works, so one easy thing to do would probably
> be to create a simple graphical user interface for it with Yad in a
> Bash script… or not; I use the terminal pretty much anyway.

XCFA is actually quite nice, I've used it a lot. Installing it would
probably be simpler than rolling your own :) But first try a newer
version of soundconverter, that will determine if it is a bug or if
something is wrong with your configuration. That would be nice to know.

> By the way, and WAY OFF TOPIC – stop read here if that bothers you
> much, you are from Norway, right? I've not been there for maybe 15
> years or so, but I'm planning to drive around there for some time
> next vacation. When I was there last time, there were no… whatever
> that is called in English… ”vägtullar” or ”vägavgifter”… tolls? How
> do they work? Do I need cash and if so, do I need Norwegian money?
> Coins or what? Or is it automated in some way?

I don't drive, I have epilepsy :) However, I believe it's fully
automated. On the toll roads into Oslo, it certainly is.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"