Anyone else having problems with Sound Converter 2.0.4 (Ubuntu 14.04)?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sun May 17 11:42:59 UTC 2015

On Sun, 17 May 2015 13:21:10 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having a FLAC-file, 44.1 kHz, 24 bits, stereo.
> Right click → Open with… → Sound Converter → Settings → mp3, CBR,
> ”Insanely high” quality (which seems to be 320 kb/s) → OK.
> Clicking convert. A dialogue pops up with an error message in Swedish.
> Translated to English it goes something like this:
>
> GStreamer error:
> GStreamer ran into a general error.
> (<Name of my FLAC file>)
>
> I have used Sound Converter 2.0.4 (and earlier versions) to convert
> files exactly like this one (FLAC 24 bit 44.1 kHz) to exactly the
> same mp3 format many many times before without any kinds of trouble.
>
> I tried with several FLAC files, even those that ran successfully
> before with Sound Converter 2.0.4. No luck. The files play without
> any problems in Audacious, Totem and Audacity.
>
> Sound Converter 2.0.4 came with Ubuntu 14.04, I didn't do anything
> with it, as far as I remember. If it wasn't installed by default, I
> guess I installed it, but in that case I am sure I installed it from
> the repositories with ”apt-get install”.
>
> Anyone seen this before? Hints?

Is it possible that you might be missing a gstreamer plugin? I'm unsure
of which version of gstreamer Sound Converter uses (and I'm too lazy to
check), but try installing either

gstreamer0.10-plugins-good and gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

or

gstreamer1.0-plugins-good and gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly

(depending on whether Sound Converter uses gstreamer 0.10 or 1.0).

The *good packages contain the FLAC plugin, and *ugly has MP3. Maybe
you will also need LAME itself to output MP3, I'm not sure.

Then try again.

Petter

PS: OK, I checked; you want the 0.10 packages :)

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"