Update problem

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue May 12 08:43:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, 11 May 2015 14:15:01 -0700
Randy Williamson <ac7nj at arrl.net> wrote:

> My boot partition is full, I've tried,
> Sudo apt-get autoremove
> Sudo apt-get autoclean
> To make more room.
> Okay gparted can change it but not without changing my other
> partitions also.
> I have a backup external hard drive 1 Tb I have tried to do a backup
> selecting all /etc and the others but I get errors at the end. I
> there a log file where I could share with you?
> I'm thinking I need to back up before anything else.

What are you using to make your backup? We need to know that before we
can tell you what logs (if any) might be relevant.

As others have mentioned, booting from a CD/DVD or USB stick might be a
good option.

If you are going to do a reinstall, take a look at LVM. It could
possibly help you in a similar situation in the future, as it would
allow you to resize file systems. I would advice you to not allocate
all available space during initial setup if you choose to use it,
though, but to leave some free space in your volume groups to allow for
future expansion. Thus you would avoid having to shrink another
file system if you need to expand one in the future.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"