Epson Epkowa Scanner won't generate 16 bit images

Bernard bdebreil at teaser.fr
Sat May 9 21:31:53 UTC 2015

Hi to Everyone,

My Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner has been working fine on my old
desktop on Debian Lenny, with iscan. This scanner is capable of
generating 16 bit images, but, so far, I had never needed such color
depth. Now that I wish to scan 16 bits, I can't get it to work that way.
Iscan does not allow that option. Xsane does, but then the scanner seems
to start and it quickly crashes. I have tried to reinstall a newer
version of iscan and of xsane on my new laptop running on Ubuntu 14.04,
and I get same results, either from xsane GUI or from scanimage command
line.

A quick Google search showed a similar question from someone else, 2 or
3 years ago ; this was reckognized as a bug, and the person was
encouraged to file a bug report. I can't find any more and don't know
where to search...

Could someone tell me if 16 bits image files are now possible with this
'Epson Perfection V500 Photo' scanner using available linux drivers ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Bernard