Writing a Help File?

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:29:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, 08 May 2015 15:11:06 +0300, Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to create a manual in the form of a Help file (like the one
> that opens when I press F1 in Ubuntu).
>
> I could't find any documentation for it - there's no 'About' item in the
> menu....
>
> Can someone point me to a guide for creating Help files?
>
> Thanks!

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/help-spec/help-system-
spec.xml

Load the above file in yelp, or whatever your favorite xml viewer is.

Yelp (the help viewer) can view Docbook, (X)HTML, Mallard, or manpage
documentation. Supposedly it can also view GNU info pages, but on my
system it simply hangs when trying to load an info page. You'll probably
want to install the packages "gnome-doc-utils" and "yelp-tools" and read
the documentation that comes with them.

Also, you can go to projectmallard.org to familiarize yourself with the
Mallard markup language since it looks like it is the default for writing
Ubuntu and GNOME help files.

--
sktsee