Help with Samba in Ubuntu 15.04!

Jason Sauders jasauders at gmail.com
Fri May 8 12:01:55 UTC 2015

I just checked on my 15.04 install for this package. I did notice an issue
with this package on 15.04 though. I tried to launch it via terminal and
the error output mentioned no such file or directory at /etc/libuser.conf.
I simply ran "touch /etc/libuser.conf" as root, then re-ran
"system-config-samba" in terminal as root to bring up the samba interface.
After creating that libuser.conf file, the GUI came up fine, however I had
to launch it via terminal. In my 3 minutes of tinkering I have not been
able to bring it up via the dash menu.

The system-config-samba tool is nice. It does a direct edit to the samba
file. This made it easy for me to learn, as I could make GUI changes, then
look in the config file to see what's changed. Once I got the hang of it I
just began writing my own smb.conf file. Makes it easy to back up and
restore to your system if you ever redo it. The smb.conf man page (man
smb.conf) provides far more samba functionality than the
system-config-samba utility, however that little GUI utility is often "just
enough" to do exactly what most people need.

Hope this helps!
-J