12.04 update breaks video

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue May 5 06:17:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, 4 May 2015 13:10:26 -0700
rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 May 2015 11:36:29 +0200
> Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 May 2015 09:46:42 -0700
> > rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> > > This is getting a bit weird...
> >
> > I agree, reading this is just plain bizarre.
> >
> > > I just downloaded a video. I thought I'd check if it's OK by using
> > > VLC to run it - even though there would be a black screen it could
> > > indicate an OK download.
> > >
> > > BUT - when I ran the file IN THE ORIGINAL DIR it was downloaded
> > > to, it ran fine! Video + audio! I was quite surprised, and thought
> > > somehow the problem went away. So, I moved the file to another dir
> > > where it would be normally stored. Ran the file again in VLC, and
> > > got a black screen.
> > >
> > > Tried another download, and the same thing happened. Original,
> > > undisturbed download was OK, but any file move to another dir
> > > gave a black screen. And, moving it back to the download dir also
> > > gives a black screen - doesn't seem to be a way to 'recover'.
> > >
> > > Permissions did not change in the move...
> > >
> > > I'm puzzled. What could cause something like that to happen? Might
> > > this give a clue as to what is going on?
> >
> > Did you try with anything other than VLC? I run Xfce, and it has a
> > media player called Parole that is OK, but I wouldn't know about
> > anything else to recommend for video playback. mplayer2, maybe?
> >
> > Also, try running it from a terminal:
> >
> > vlc -v 2 file://path/to/file
>
> Not sure how to get this to work. Gives me:
> main input error: open of `file:///home/test/2' failed
> filesystem access error: cannot open file
>
> It seems to think "2" is a file, not a -v parameter

Then try with "vlc -v2" - I only looked at the output for "vlc --help"
and it looked like there should be a space there. :)

> I can run
> vlc file
> and that runs with no msgs, & with a black window.

Messages would be good, though :)

> > and optionally,
> >
> > vlc -v 2 http://link.to/the/same/file
> >
> > If it spews so much information that you can't make anything out,
> > try running it with "-v 1".
> >
> > See what you get before and after moving the file. If something
> > changes, then we might be able to figure something out. Also maybe
> > keep another terminal open with "dmesg -w" and/or "tail -f
> > ~/.xsession-errors".
>
> "dmesg -w" gives me:
> dmesg: invalid option -- 'w'

You must have an older dmesg :)

> dmesg gives me lots of stuff :-)
> nothing seems relevant to vlc though, but has:
> [3098201.613107] [fglrx:KAS_Mutex_Release] *ERROR* Mutex released
> without holding it.
> apparently when mounting an ext disk.
>
> update: fiddling with a CLI vlc seems to have disabled the OK viewing
> in the download dir. I can no longer reproduce the strange OK viewing
> on a freshly downloaded file. Tried multiple times with vlc and other
> viewers. Nothing gives me the video part - audio is always OK.
>
> About to give up and go to 14.04, and see if that works.

That might be your best bet, but updates should not break things.
Especially not on an LTS.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"