12.04 update breaks video

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Mon May 4 19:05:06 UTC 2015

On Mon, 4 May 2015 11:21:52 +0200
Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 2015 10:13:19 -0700
> rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello Petter,
> >
> > Sunday, May 3, 2015, 12:08:15 AM, Petter wrote:
> > > I could hazard a guess, but it's not anything more than that -
> > > just a guess. If I were you, I would switch from fglrx to radeon.
> > > 99.999% of the problems I have had with my system in recent years
> > > were due to the fglrx driver, switching to radeon did wonders for
> > > my system stability.
> >
> > > If you do not _need_ the fglrx driver for something, like if you
> > > have a really new card that isn't supported by radeon, I would at
> > > least give it a try.
> >
> > I will. Is that as simple as telling the 'other drivers' window to
> > use the non-selected driver? [I want to make a good backup before
> > that, though. Last time I did a hardware related change, it
> > completely blew up the box and I ended up doing a reinstall.]
>
> I would be a little careful.

In looking around, I'd say one has to be **VERY** careful. There seems
to be LOTS of potential problems.

> Take a look at this site, it is a
> collection of information about the fglrx driver for Linux:
>
> http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

Great site for this kind of problem!

> That is a link to the main page for Ubuntu, so choose the link there
> for your version (although there are _tons_ of other information at
> that site as well). From what I remember, I think the recommended
> procedure is to get out of X, remove and purge the fglrx driver and
> related components, install radeon, and reboot. I *think* - it's been
> a while since I did this.

Roughly right, but with many, many details that must be done absolutely
correctly, and even then can seem to cause difficulties. This kind of
fix may be a bit above my pay grade. :-))

> A backup first sounds like a very good idea, and make sure you can
> restore from it if things turn ugly :)

I learned the hard way... :-)

> But before you do anything, take a good, long look at the above site,
> it is the best resource I have found related to AMD graphics on Linux.

Agreed.

> There might even be a solution for your original problem there,

Unfortunately, no.

The above sounds a bit much for me. Alternate thought: this happened
from an update. Before the update everything ran fine. How can I find
out what was updated - maybe that will give a clue? Are drivers
normally updated? Given what is apparently necessary to update AMD
drivers correctly, maybe a simple replacement/update did not work.

Again, many thanks

rikona