12.04 update breaks video

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon May 4 09:21:52 UTC 2015

On Sun, 3 May 2015 10:13:19 -0700
rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> Hello Petter,
>
> Sunday, May 3, 2015, 12:08:15 AM, Petter wrote:
> > I could hazard a guess, but it's not anything more than that - just
> > a guess. If I were you, I would switch from fglrx to radeon.
> > 99.999% of the problems I have had with my system in recent years
> > were due to the fglrx driver, switching to radeon did wonders for
> > my system stability.
>
> > If you do not _need_ the fglrx driver for something, like if you
> > have a really new card that isn't supported by radeon, I would at
> > least give it a try.
>
> I will. Is that as simple as telling the 'other drivers' window to use
> the non-selected driver? [I want to make a good backup before that,
> though. Last time I did a hardware related change, it completely blew
> up the box and I ended up doing a reinstall.]

I would be a little careful. Take a look at this site, it is a
collection of information about the fglrx driver for Linux:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

That is a link to the main page for Ubuntu, so choose the link there
for your version (although there are _tons_ of other information at that
site as well). From what I remember, I think the recommended procedure
is to get out of X, remove and purge the fglrx driver and related
components, install radeon, and reboot. I *think* - it's been a while
since I did this.

A backup first sounds like a very good idea, and make sure you can
restore from it if things turn ugly :)

But before you do anything, take a good, long look at the above site,
it is the best resource I have found related to AMD graphics on Linux.
There might even be a solution for your original problem there, I'm
sorry I didn't think of this before, but I just remembered it.

> >> Looks like somebody is trying to force me to upgrade to
> >> 14.04. :-))) [which I plan to do, but a bit later...]
> > Shouldn't be necessary. If you are happy with 12.04 I see no reason
> > to upgrade as long as you are getting security updates. :)
>
> I keep getting notices of 'hardware' updates, but haven't done them,
> given what happened last time I tried that. :-)

"Descendants" of Debian are generally quite good at upgrades, I have
found, but there are always corner cases that might not have been
caught during testing. Messing with drivers can cause problems, so it's
good to hear that you make backups. Many people don't, and then get in
a terrible state when things go bad. :)

> > Best of luck!
>
> Thanks, and thanks very, very much for the info and explanations.

You are most welcome, and feel free to ask if there is anything you
need to know :)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"