Disk partition

William Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Wed Mar 25 13:48:20 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Stephen Drotar <stephen at artifex360.com> wrote:
> To further discuss
>

> if I am partitioning the disk 4 or more times the options I have out of the
> ubuntu-home folder are
>
> /usr
> /var
> swap
> biosboot
>

> I’m trying to create vm space and name it

You can manually partition the disk however you want. You don't have
to use automated partitioning. That said, a better question is _why_
do you want multiple partitions? Are these all on the same disk? You
really are better off with just two partitions, root and the swap
partition. Yes, 20 years ago it was important to be able to separate
these things. In some circumstances, like a security conscious
production environment, it still might be (at least, /var in that
case, since that's where the logs are). But if you're just setting up
a VM to use for experimentation, or to play with, it's really just a
distraction. It will make no difference what so ever to your running
system, or it's performance.

--
W. Scott Lockwood III