updates requiring keyboard input

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Mar 20 06:52:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 00:14 -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> I went back and found your other thread and you said the updater is showing
> the changelogs, and from your description it sounds like you are talking
> about update-manager.

Hm. Now I'm not sure any more! It's the one that has popped up
automatically since I first installed 14.04. I may have to wait until it
pops up again :-) Running "update-manager" from the command line has no
visible effect, and I note that one instance is already running, so I
think that "update-manager" may be identifying itself as "Software
Updater".

> Using that tool I find I have to click about three times to even DISPLAY
> the changelogs

Yes - once to drop down the sublist, once to select the item, and once
to click on "Technical details". But that is all *before* the download
begins and thus well before the updates get actually applied. The input
is requested as part of applying the updates, not as part of downloading
them (sorry, should have made that clear).

> the command line is relevant... Maybe you have an environment variable set
> that tells apt its default behavior outputs the changelogs, and it confuses
> update-manager scripts?

Unlikely - I would have thought that would cause all packages to display
their changelogs and request input, but it's only ever been one per
update (and a different one each time).

> I just had a quick look through the update-manager code and man page and I
> don't see ANY option to intentionally display the changelog text... so if
> there's not an apt environment variable causing an issue, so maybe another
> possibility is some part of update-manager has gotten corrupted on your
> system somehow?

I have no clue at all as to what might be causing it. Up to the point
where you said yours went through without stopping I would have said it
was a maintainer leaving some internal option set, but that now seems to
be not the case.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882