Google Chrome Crashes Unity Desktop

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 01:55:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:49 PM, John Hupp <ubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:

> On 3/17/2015 3:16 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on on an Acer Aspire 5715Z (Intel T2390 with
>> 2Gb of RAM).
>>
>> I am experiencing a weird problem:
>>
>> Every time I open Google and visit the Extensions Gallery, the whole
>> Unity Desktop crashes. Restarting the LightDM service doesn't help and I
>> have to reboot the machine.
>>
>> I tried to delete the profile directory under $HOME/.local/google-chrome/
>> - same...
>>
>> Another weird problem - every time I enter the desktop I have to unlock
>> the Login Keyring, although I have changed the password to a blank
>> password....
>>
>> This is a friends computer, whom I convinced Ubuntu is the best OS to
>> replace Windows...
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Amichai.
>>

> The first thing I would try is disabling Chrome hardware acceleration, at
> Settings: Show advanced settings: (un-check) Use hardware acceleration when
> available.
>
> I would not expect it to be related to the Login Keyring problem though,
> unless that was crash damage.  (And I don't have any advice about this
> second problem.)

I know of an open bug for Chromium

But strangely enough on my hardware I haven't seen the crash (really more
of a screen lock-up) in plain Unity, in either Chrome or Chromium.  In
Chromium I noticed the crash only after I installed alternative desktops --
lubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu. I'm not sure which one might have been the
trigger, but I also had other problems with screensavers and login managers
seemingly stepping over each other.