Feature Request - Inclusion of Rescue Mode in Desktop installation images

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Mar 10 07:46:40 UTC 2015

Hello.

I do not know whether this is the appropriate forum for making a feature
request, and, I do not know whether the feature request has previously
been made, but, here goes...

I have lost the use of a computer, for about a month, now, due to trying
to install an additional operating system, that appears, to me, to be a
trojan horse.

The computer is a UEFI/GPT system.

The order of the operating systems that were installed, is
MS Windows 8
Debian Linux 7
Ubuntu 14.04
PC-BSD 10.1.1 (the trojan horse operating system)

The installation of the last opeating system, resulted in an inoperable
operating system, and, despite the options selected, being unable to
boot any previously installed operating system.

The only functionality of the software installed on that computer, was
being able to acess the GRUB CLI that was part of the PC-BSD
installation.

I could not find how, using the GRUB CLI, to restore the GRUB
bootloader, to allow me to boot into either Debian Linux or Ubuntu
Linux.

After multiple postings to the Debian Users list, and the GRUB Help
list, and, finding the the Debian installation iso image, included a
Rescue Mode, but that the Ubuntu 14.04 desktop installation iso image,
did not include a Rescue Mode, a person on the Debian Users list,
helpfully advised that he believed that the Ubuntu server images,
include a Rescue Mode.

So, after having lost a month, and, many hours, trying to repair the
system, then, after having donwloaded a Ubuntu 14.04 server iso image,
and written it to disk, I ran it in Rescue Mode, and, within a
(relatively) short time, rescued the system, and it now, successfully,
boots into Ubuntu, or Debian, as I choose (I have to figure out, how to
add the MS Win8, to the boot options).

So, my feature request is thus; can the Rescue Mode, that is available
on the Ubuntu server images, please be added to the Ubuntu desktop
images?

It would be good, if it could be added to the next (sub-)release of
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Desktop; I believe that it would be Ubuntu 14.04.03
Desktop LTS.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby