Parental Controls

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon Jun 29 12:53:40 UTC 2015

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:15:48 -0400
Phil G <ssc1861 at verizon.net> wrote:

> +1 for opendns.com.
>
> It blocks domains that are known to be in specific categories, and you
> select which categories to block.  You can also block individual
> domains. When my kids were young, I blocked categories like gambling,
> guns, obscene, p2p, etc.  I also blocked the entire .ru tld.
>
> That works until you give your kids a smartphone :)

...or until they figure out how to set their DNS server to 8.8.8.8,
which probably won't take long. (I assume what they do is provide a
filtered DNS service, I didn't bother with reading too many of their
webpages).

Another approach, that depends on your router/firewall, is to take a
look at the lists you can find here, for example:

https://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

If you can set up your router to block the IP ranges in these lists,
that would probably be more effective. The second you give your kids a
device that has a SIM card they will of course be able to bypass that
too since they now have an independent Internet connection, but they
can still be useful to block malware, phishing, spammers and other
ills on your local network.

I'm considering setting these lists up with pfblockerng on my pfsense
firewall. If your router can run something like OpenWRT you can
also fairly easily use these lists. Otherwise it depends on what your
router's firmware allows you to do.

Petter