WiFi performance

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Jun 20 06:58:57 UTC 2015

I've been given an HP G62 laptop from a family friend, that I'm trying
to get up and running with vivid instead of the Windows install that it
came with.

lspci gives me this on the WiFi interface:
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak]

The problem is that I'm getting absolutely abysmal performance. The
router it's connected to is a TP-Link Archer C5 running OpenWRT, and
according to the OpenWRT webui, it opens a connection with a bitrate of
150Mbps.

On average, I get about 2Mbps when downloading or copying files over
NFS. Running iperf3, I get an average of 11Mbps over TCP, and 27Mbps
over UDP. This is from another vivid box, connected to the router via
gigabit Ethernet.

Any suggestions on things I could try to get better performance, apart
from replacing the WiFi card?

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"