getting a menu to start a previous session on boot

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Fri Jun 19 17:07:24 UTC 2015

I have a problem ubuntu box that I use daily for important stuff.  I
upgraded from 13.04 to 14.04 about a year ago.  It moved my 13.04
install to /dev/sda7, an ext4 partition.  In order to keep the employees
paid and the customers served, I have been going there at the grub menu.

Now I decided that the time has come to fix this, so I backed up my
13.04 home directory to a dvd-ram media (love it but it gets
s..l...o....w) and installed 14.04 from a dvd (not the min install).
Now on boot I get a menu, after signing in, asking me to select a
session, and name it.  I did so, then brought the box back to work (I
installed libre office from home-unlimited throughput, unlike exede at
the office), and I get the same menu asking to select from the now 2
sessions.

Help?
John