cannot upgrade kernel, not a space problem

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 18 09:05:49 UTC 2015

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 18.06.2015, 10:44 +0200 schrieb oxy:
> hi
>
> > The default meta package which determines the kernel is linux-generic
> > which means the 3.13 kernel for *Ubuntu 14.04. If you want to install
> > one of the HWE kernels you would need the appropriate meta package which
> > is linux-generic-lts-utopic for the 3.16 kernel or linux-generic-lts-
> > vivid for the 3.19 kernel.
>
> but i have a 2nd computer also running a standard ubuntu 14.04
> installation and it is now on kernel 3.16. He came to it "alone"
> through the software updater. Thus it still puzzles me.

it most likely was not a 14.04 but a 14.04.2 installation ;)

the later point releases of LTS versions usually get the newer kernel on
the iso ...

from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

..."The Ubuntu LTS enablement stacks provide newer kernel and X support
for existing LTS releases. These can be installed manually, or are
automatically shipped if installing from 12.04.2/14.04.2 and newer
release media. "...

ciao
	oli