install network printer on Win 7 @ Vbox @ Ubuntu

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:52:07 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 4:20 AM, oxy <oxyopes at googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> Host: ubu 14.04 64 bit
> >> Guest: Win 7 SP1 @ Vbox 4.3.28
> >>
> >> My network printer Dell C3760dn works perfectly from ubuntu, but i
> >> cannot install it on windows. No firewall on ubuntu, printer access
> >> controll free, Windows connects to the network over NAT at Vbox.
> >
> > I know this seems totally obvious, but have you installed and configured
> > Samba on the Ubuntu host?  It should automatically share your printer on
>
> just to clear one thing: the printer is not attached to the host
> computer/system.
> It is on the network.

I don't know Windows well, but I was disappointed a few years back when I
tried to get my son's Windows 7 computer to "play nice" with the Ubuntu and
Macintosh systems on our home LAN. Ubuntu and Mac systems use CUPS and
MOSTLY work without complaint together. If I recall it turns out the
linux-style printing tools were not included in the "home" version of
Windows that came with his laptop. It seems like the easiest option would
have been to upgrade to a "professional" version of Windows.

In the end we came up with a workaround involving saving files on a network
drive and printing them from a Mac or Ubuntu machine. There very well could
be a utility that adds CUPS-compatible printing to a Windows machine
without the full expense of a "professional" upgrade, but I never looked
very hard.

All that said, most printer manufacturers trip over themselves to support
Windows. I presume you have installed the Dell printing utilities in
Windows and they are unable to connect.

Is there a reason the Windows 7 machine has to connect through NAT and not
a "bridge"?