Forcing static address in 12.04

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:09:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 22:01 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>> > address 192.168.144.8
>> interesting address.
>
> Not very interesting at all.

Sure it is. Much more interesting than, say, 192.168.0.2 .

> It looks perfectly fine for a static IP
> address on a /24 network.

... given the right definition of the /24 , and an actual router
addressed in the right /24 .

And his router apparently was on the right network, which is something
else that mildly interests me.

>> > netmask 255.255.255.0
>> > network 192.168.0.0
>> Network unreachable. Yes.
>
> Nope, not at all. That combination will work just fine, though the
> network statement is misleading and unnecessary.

Depending on what else he is trying to reach on the network.

But don't you think it odd that he is back on-line after getting rid
of that "misleading" definition of the base address of his network
segment?

>> Try 192.168.144.0 for the network.
>
> Best would be to omit it altogether.

Good point.

> Modern Linux doesn't need it and as
> far as I know just ignores it. I can't actually remember ever using it.

If it's there, it could cause issues, still, I think, depending on
what other software he is using.

>> > broadcast 192.168.144.233
>> > gateway 192.168.144.233
>> Yes. Wonderful. Hit the gateway to broadcast. That will definitely
>> make your network experience enjoyable.
>
> Sarcasm doesn't help anyone, and this error has already been pointed out
> and (hopefully) fixed.

Sarcasm can sometimes help focus a conversation. But he saw what we
wanted him to see, so it no longer matters.

>> No. Don't do that. Use something sane for the broadcast address, like,
>> oh, I dunno, maybe 192.168.144.255 or 192.168.255.255.
>
> The broadcast address can usually be left out altogether. Linux will
> work it out for you. In this particular case, if it were to be kept, it
> should be 192.168.144.255.

Well, I must admit, I am wondering whether the factory settings of the
ASUS RT-N65R would have the router in the same network as the box in
question if he used a /24.

Not that I'm interested enough to download the manual PDF to find out.

--
Joel Rees