Forcing static address in 12.04

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Wed Jun 10 22:25:02 UTC 2015

Hello Karl,

Tuesday, June 9, 2015, 5:28:20 PM, Karl wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 14:43 -0700, rikona wrote:
>> 2532 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto  NetworkManager

> OK - NetworkManager is NOT running. Good - makes things easier.

How did this tell you NM is not running?

>> >    sudo ifup eth0
>>
>> RTNETLINK ANSWERS: File exists
>> Failed to bring up eth0.

> Good - looks like eth0 might already be ready and running. Does it show
> up in "ifconfig"? If it does, can you send us the line that looks like
> this (some words may be missing):

>            UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

In the eth0 paragraph, there is a line EXACTLY as you have it above.

>> >    ping -c 4 192.168.144.8
>> got it

> What does "got it" mean? That you saw ping responses? Please tell us
> what the responses were (one is enough if they were all very similar).

shortened a bit since I need to hand-type what is on the other screen

64 b... 192...: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 ...042 ms

all lines exactly the same

> If you did get ping responses that is good news, it means that the
> interface is basically working.

>> >    ping -c 4 1.2.3.4
>> with 192.168.144.233:
>> do you want to ping broadcast? Then -b

> This suggests that you left those incorrect "broadcast" and "network"
> entries in /etc/network/interfaces. If so, make sure
> that /etc/network/interfaces contains only the lines I supplied, and try
> again.

Those lines are not there. I even removed 2 comment lines to make what
I have be EXACTLY the same format as what you suggested.

NEW info, possibly helpful:

I've been prepping to possibly go to 14.04. Since with no net, I could
not 'upgrade' I was switching boot drives back and forth several times
between 12.04 and 14.04. I've booted 12.04 perhaps 6-8 times during
these very recent disk swaps. On booting 12.04 today, I noticed
something different. Before [but after the blow up], each time during
boot, it spent a LONG time trying to set up networking and finally
booted with no net. Today the 'trying..' msg did not appear and boot
was quicker. No idea why it is different.

Today, when I ping 192.168.144.233 I DO get a ping response, unlike
before [the lines look like the above except for the .233 address].
And a ping to 8.8.8.8 also DOES give me a response. I reported earlier
that the .233 did not work - the .8 didn't either but I didn't mention
it.

but ping sonic.net still gives

unknown host

as it did before.

I logged in to the router from another box - the router sees the
12.04 box at 192.168.144.8, as it would be assigned by the router.

I tried looking into the 12.04 box, and can actually access a file
from another box - so looking INTO the box seems to be working. Also
can now see the LAN and connect to a win box and see a file there - so
looking out on the LAN seems to be working.

For some reason, this is quite different from the way it was before
[router did not see the 12.04 box before, and could not connect in or
out].

All the GUI network tools are still missing though.

Again, many thanks for the help.

--

 rikona