Forcing static address in 12.04

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:01:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 3:40 AM, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.144.8

interesting address.

> netmask 255.255.255.0
> network 192.168.0.0

Network unreachable. Yes.

Try 192.168.144.0 for the network.

Or set the netmask to 255.255.0.0

Erm, well, no, nevermind about the netmask. Leave it as it is until we try this.

> broadcast 192.168.144.233
> gateway 192.168.144.233

Yes. Wonderful. Hit the gateway to broadcast. That will definitely
make your network experience enjoyable.

No. Don't do that. Use something sane for the broadcast address, like,
oh, I dunno, maybe 192.168.144.255 or 192.168.255.255.

> dns-nameservers 192.168.144.233

That might be right, if the gateway address is right.

I'm wondering where you got the gateway address from. Was it what the
ASUS router's setup screen showed you (accessed from another box, we
assume).

> The above were the suggestions from the last net article[with my info
> in there].

What's a net article?

>>> I have a thought in retrospect - I copied from the net, then changed
>>> parts but not all.

It kindof looks that way to me.

>[...]

Note that the numbers I suggest are based on the foolish hope that you
had a good reason to choose 192.168.144.8 as a static address for the
box in question, and 192.168.144.233 for the gateway. Guesses and
copying from the "net" are not good reasons.

(Should I tell this guy about the time I copied three screens worth of
boot messages for questions to a support list and figured out, all by
myself, what the problem and fix were about the time I hit the send
button sending the last screen full of data to the list? That kind of
thing happens.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well.