Forcing static address in 12.04

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Jun 9 04:38:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-06-08 at 20:49 -0700, rikona wrote:
> > Which tool are you using?  In NM I see Automatic(DHCP) and Manual, not fixed.
> Part of manual is putting in a fixed address - didn't mean to imply
> that's what the screen said, but wanted to get across what I wanted to
> accomplish.

I apologise for being blunt, but we are trying to help you.

You were asked a very specific question: "What tool are you using". Your
answer was waffle. Please either answer the questions you are asked,
clearly and precisely, or stop wasting everybody's time.

You have a mixed up machine. Stuff that should work, doesn't. Stuff that
should work in a particular way, doesn't. Stuff that should be there,
isn't. So the first task is to figure out what you actually have or do
not have.

> > Save is greyed out until a valid set of data are provided.  Perhaps
> > you were not providing valid data.
>
> See my other email re the router mixup and why that happened. At the
> time, there might have been a conflict in the IP I was trying to
> enter. That problem may have been solved by the router fix.

Yes, and there may have been fluctuations in the space time continuum
causing depletion of the dilithium crystals leading to the flange
grommet riding up the rotating crankshaft. You keep providing theories
instead of information. You do not know why anything happened. If you
did, you would not need our help.

You keep confusing us by talking about what you used to have. We do not
care what you used to have. What matters is what you ACTUALLY HAVE NOW.
Stop blathering about other stuff and describe accurately and completely
what you have NOW.

> > Can you take a screenshot showing your data with Save greyed out?
>
> No. Since the blow up I have nothing relating to a network that I can
> get up on the screen. That tool is among the missing.

OK: Please make sure that the problem computer is physically networked
to your router (possibly via a switch). All of the following should be
done on a text console on the problem computer or in a terminal window
on the problem computer.

First check whether the following file exists on the problem computer:

   /etc/network/interfaces

Then check whether the following utilities are installed on the problem
computer:

   ifup
   ifdown
   ifconfig
   ip
   ping
   ps
   grep

If any of them are missing please tell us.

Then tell us the address of your router. According to an earlier email
it is 192.168.144.233, which odd (not impossible, just unusual). You
also had a broadcast address of 192.168.144.233 which was almost
certainly wrong.

Then run "ps ax | grep NetworkManager" and tell us whether you see an
entry similar to this one:

   914 ?        Ssl    0:17 NetworkManager

Then edit /etc/network/interfaces and make it look like this (substitute
your router's address for 1.2.3.4):

   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback

   auto eth0
   iface eth0 inet static
   address 192.168.144.8
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   gateway 1.2.3.4

Save the changes, then do this

   sudo ifup eth0

If you get error messages, tell us what they are. Otherwise, try this
(substitute your router's address for 1.2.3.4):

   ping -c 4 192.168.144.8
   ping -c 4 1.2.3.4

If you see ping responses from the first, then at least your interface
is plumbed. If you see ping responses to the second, then woohoo, your
network is working. You can add nameserver addresses
to /etc.networkinterfaces and everything should be cool.

If that doesn't work though, tell us IN DETAIL what happened.

We need to know specifics. When you did something we need to know
exactly what you did, using what program and what data.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882