HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon Jun 8 07:33:41 UTC 2015

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 13:22:52 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> > > I'm not too sure how that works, but I was testing the sound with
> > > earbuds plugged right into the mobo or sound card, and getting
> > > nothing.  There's no special power connection to the card, it
> > > appears to run off the mobo power.
> >
> > I thought, maybe the extra power needed by the plugin card was too
> > much for the failing power supply. Of course it is strange that
> > there is no sound with the onboard sound card and also with the
> > plugin card and I have no idea how that could happen. I just
> > remember that the file server at our office had some strange
> > symptoms a short time before its power supply died.
> >

> Understood.  However, I have a poor history of fooling with wiring or
> mobos, so I have a different plan.  I was thinking to change the mobo
> anyway.  I'll be buying a new mobo, memory, CPU -- and power supply.
> The supply is the oldest thing in that box, so maybe its time has
> come.  Then I'll have a local shop I trust do the replacement.  At
> least this way I have a better chance the system will still work --
> partly -- until the parts come in.
>
> I understand there are new mobos in the works.  I'm especially
> interested in ones that have the new drive interfaces.  I already
> have SATA SSD for my system partitions, but I could step up to M2 or
> whatever comes after it.
>
> Any suggestions, pointers, links or advice?

You don't need M2 to get a faster SSD, there are PCIe SSDs out there,
although they are more pricey than SATA ones. M2 can be a bit
confusing, as there are several different form factors. I don't know if
one is more common than the others yet. Samsung in general makes good
SSDs, but they have had a couple of high-profile firmware bugs recently
on some of their drives. I think they have been fixed by now, but check
before you buy.

If you are buying a new CPU and motherboard, make sure that your CPU
has a suitable number of PCIe lanes for your needs - both M2 and PCIe
SSDs eat up several lanes, AFAIK. If you also have a heavy duty
graphics card (or two), it all adds up.

I'd also advice you to get a quality, reliable power supply. Spend
money on a good one, don't go cheap. The one in my desktop is a Corsair,
and I'm very happy with it. Even if you don't use a power hungry CPU and
graphics card, clean, stable power is a Good Thing. A bad power supply
can destroy hardware, and/or make it behave in strange and unpredictable
ways.

Just my 2c :)

Petter

--