HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 20:22:52 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, if sound stopped working also with a plugin card, it might as
> > > well be a problem of the power supply, not the mobo. If you have a
> > > spare power supply, you should probably try that one.
> > >
> > > I'm a bit doubtful.
> >
> > I'm not too sure how that works, but I was testing the sound with
> > earbuds plugged right into the mobo or sound card, and getting
> > nothing.  There's no special power connection to the card, it appears
> > to run off the mobo power.
>
> I thought, maybe the extra power needed by the plugin card was too much
> for the failing power supply. Of course it is strange that there is no
> sound with the onboard sound card and also with the plugin card and I
> have no idea how that could happen. I just remember that the file server
> at our office had some strange symptoms a short time before its power
> supply died.

Understood.  However, I have a poor history of fooling with wiring or
mobos, so I have a different plan.  I was thinking to change the mobo
anyway.  I'll be buying a new mobo, memory, CPU -- and power supply.  The
supply is the oldest thing in that box, so maybe its time has come.  Then
I'll have a local shop I trust do the replacement.  At least this way I
have a better chance the system will still work -- partly -- until the
parts come in.

I understand there are new mobos in the works.  I'm especially interested
in ones that have the new drive interfaces.  I already have SATA SSD for my
system partitions, but I could step up to M2 or whatever comes after it.

Any suggestions, pointers, links or advice?

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */