HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 16:36:14 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > There is no Unity since this is Xubuntu.  Nor xdm, as you noted.
> > "start lightdm" takes me to the frozen login and I'm stuck.  And my
> > servers and network have stopped too.  It's back to hard power-off.
> > So that's where the problem is.
>
> Then I would suggest to have a look at the log files in
> /var/log/lightdm/. Maybe there is some hint.

This got worse last night.  I tried to boot from release DVD of past
Xubuntu versions.  All three hung in the exact same way.  I can no longer
suspect software.

I was thinking about getting a new mobo anyway, because sound had stopped
working (even with a plugin sound card).  Now I think it just got a whole
lot more urgent.  I'm thinking to abandon AMD and go for a core I7, because
of some computing-related hobby projects.  I've heard good stuff about
ASUS, and I'm not that thrilled with the current MSI mobo I have.

Anyway, I used single-user mode to take a full backup of what I have now.
I'll stop trying to debug this, and get on with getting a stable platform.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */