HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 18:07:53 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> Also, in grub you can edit the kernel command line and *remove* the 'quiet'
> option.  This will result in a verbose bootup.  If something is failing, it
> will be seen (and you will have an idea as to what might be broken).
> Between
> a verbose startup and a not-graphical login, almost all [linux] ills can be
> cured (or at least diagnosed).

I'll try that too.

Here's an interesting fact: when I put "text" on the end of the grub line,
apache and sshd work for me.  When I don't, they don't.  I thought I had
things going well, with an xorg.conf and everything, so I just rebooted.
Back to the original problem, and my laptop's ssh reports "No route to
host".

So I have to start with either "text" on the end of the line, or maybe
"single" which I'll try next.  Maybe I'll get better info if I start X from
single-user.

Well, I get to single-user mode OK.  The network is set up, but daemons are
not running (there's a route now apparently, but connection refused on sshd
and apache ports).  Startx brings up my 3 monitors (as root).  But this is
not normal.  If I log out of X, and exit from the single-user mode, I get
to a console login prompt and my servers are running.  This is still not
normal, but it's closer.  If I run startx from my user account, the result
is almost normal, but the settings widget in the whishker menu is
impoverished.  It doesn't have nVidia settings manager for instance.

So how could I get root to start an X login?  That is what is missing, and
may be what is broken.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */