HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 17:40:11 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 10:26 AM, William Scott Lockwood III <
scott at guppylog.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I meant no response at all.  Ping couldn't find it (no route)  But I've
>> now booted in text mode (appended "text" to grub "linux" line), and the
>> server is working. Maybe I did something wrong the first time.
>>
>> Moreover, I can now log in from my laptop too and even do X forwarding,
>> so I have a bit more control.
>

> If this is a server, why are you running X on it in the first place? X is
> full of bloat, is a potential security risk, and slows down any machine
> it's on. For servers, use the no X run level (or whatever systemD is
> calling it) and save yourself a ton of headache.

This is my "everything" machine.  I don't have the luxury of a DMZ and all
that.  I have one desktop machine which I load up with memory (32GB) and
disk (~17TB).  I also have one laptop and a number of mobile devices.  But
I spend most of my time in X on this machine.

And the server doesn't do that much, and serves static pages and one
hand-coded CGI page only, mostly for a hobby and pictures of my dogs.  SSHD
responds only on the LAN.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */